Because libraries...help us out of the reading blahs


tl;dr (Listen to this blog post here)


It’s National Library Week, and every year during this week, the library sends out library facts as well as trivia questions to faculty, staff, and Upper School students. The following post is a revision of today’s email, in place of the trivia question, I am adding a challenge.

At the beginning of the week Mr. Boyd and Ms. Bell celebrated their birthdays.
Today, we celebrate the birth of two other pillars of our community: Neeltje Henneman and William Shakespeare
Sure, Shakespeare isn't with us physically, but no fall would be complete without the recitation of Hamlet's monologue (available here in French, Mandarin, and Spanish) by the entire senior class. And who can forget the Midsummer Night's Dream performed al fresco at the farm several springs back. Certainly, Will has a place in our community.

Hamlet bas-relief; exterior of The Folger Shakespeare Library
Will is beloved by so many that his plays continue to be performed around the world. The Metropolitan Opera streamed the Scottish play a few weeks back, Shakepeare's Globe Theatre currently rotates productions on its YouTube channel, and several other streams can be found freely available at this time. At the The Folger Shakespeare Library, located steps from the Supreme Court in Washington DC and dedicated to the study of Shakespeare's works and times, you can read full plays, sonnets, and poems or learn more about his life and work. They've even collaborated with other institutions to create an online exhibition of over 400 primary sources called Shakespeare Documented.

Before Spring Break, I was devouring books in print and audiobook form (Thanks Overdrive!). I even thought I could complete the Hub's Reading Challenge. During our Spring Break I was able to sit with a story. But during this Adventure in Distance Learning, I am having a hard time settling into any book. I daydream about staying up all night because I am so engrossed in a book. I'd love an afternoon flanked by cats and armed with a good book.  Right now, when opportunity arises, these dreams are not the reality. I can’t get very far before my mind goes itchy or conversely, I fall asleep. Apparently, I am not alone in this, and this week’s challenge is for me as much as it is for anyone else.
I am having a hard time settling into any book. 
Much of Shakespeare is best when heard or read aloud. If you are looking for lively Shakespeare, the production of Much Ado About Nothing featuring Danielle Brooks and Grantham Coleman currently streaming on PBS is definitely worth watching, and the Folger Shakespeare library has audio currently available for seven plays. Right now current artists are also sharing their wares, and the arts certainly warrant an audience, even if it is only virtual. Many contemporary poets, playwrights, artists, and authors are performing their works for the public on different media streams including Twitter and Facebook Live. If you are like me and having difficulty reading to yourself, perhaps letting an author read their works to us will help us read to ourselves again.

Here are some upcoming readings of Poetry and Picture Books:

Poetry:

Picture Books:


I know I will find my way back to my late night reads, but in the meantime, I'm glad so many live readings are available. Be well!