Connecting students to the Library during a pandemic

 When I begin to think about my curriculum over this past summer, I knew I had to make some major changes. Many of the grades I teach were changing locations. I knew some of the concepts I would cover in the past did not make sense outside of my usual teaching space, The Story Room.  Many parts of my curriculum included showing our youngest learners how to navigate the space. Half of my students had been given a new space, The Farm, and I knew my curriculum needed to capitalize on that lovely space.


I presented the question: How does the library bring people, information and ideas together? 

The other half of my students are still on the Providence Campus, but I am now entering their classroom spaces. I did not want to use my time with them connecting them to a space they could not be in, in this moment. I did know I wanted them to somehow still feel connected to the library. I presented the question; how does the library bring people, information and ideas together? My second graders brainstormed and came up with a list of places to find information and each week I have been using the library and our resources to connect them to the library. My first graders connected their ideas to the stories they want to hear and create. We have been diving into fiction stories that are funny, interesting and inspiring. All of these stories are connecting them to the library.

Here are a few of the ways the Library Department is connecting students and families to the library without the physical space:

  • Providing resources that allow students to explore their interest and passions
  • Connecting students and families to books; hard copies and digital formats 
  • Creating opportunities for inquiry and experiential learning to happen in the classroom


Check out  "News From the Story Room" to see all the fun curriculum that is happening with students in Nursery through Second grade.