A good time to love reading


This blog entry comes with no surprises; I love reading. I thought about reading often after attending the annual Rhode Island Library Association Conference back in May. I attended a workshop where two librarians shared a presentation about starting community reads. Often times when we think of a community read, we find one book that we want the entire community to read. I have been a part of a school community read, a library community read and a church community read.

This presentation stayed with me because these two librarians had not selected  a title of a book for their community to discuss. That idea falls under the idea of book clubs, which are often small and intimate groups with like minded people. The group often shares a love for mystery, history, or fiction. With a large community, it is difficult to find the one genre or author that the majority's interest holds. 

The idea of reading or listening to books that fall under one particular theme has an appeal to multiple readers. Readers, who prefer fiction to nonfiction may find they enjoy reading books about family. A book about family can fall under any genre. 

I also came to the realization that reading with a theme can be multigenerational. The subject matter becomes more inclusive and can include a community, where ever that community might be. 

After the workshop, I found myself choosing a theme and sticking with it, sometimes for a month and sometimes longer. I extend the invitation to read with me. I include my planned themes for the remainder of this year. Feel free to send me some suggestions as I look ahead to 2022. 

June/July - Immigration Stories 

August- Indigenous Stories